Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Pastry dough



Hello again! I'm oh so sorry to have been MIA for quite some time. Life has gotten the better of me recently, and my very noble intentions of blogging once a week have taken a back seat to everything else. Nevertheless, here I am ready to share with all of you more from my wonderful time in baking school. We've been working on pastry doughs used for tarts, pies, croissants, danish, puff pastry, and lots more.  

Small tartlettes filled with either pastry cream, meringue or chocolate ganache, and then decorated using fresh fruit and chocolate. 


Raspberry and almond tart with a lattice on top.


This is called a Gateau Pithivier. It's puff pastry filled with almond frangipane, which is a filling that is like a moist cake-like texture when baked. 


This was so much fun to make. It's called a Mille Feuille--or more commonly, a Napoleon. It's just layers of puff pastry filled with combined pastry and whipped cream, and then vanilla fondant and chocolate glaze on top.


These are called Danish envelopes. The different fillings are cheese, pineapple, almond and apple. 


Shortcake with whipped cream and fresh berries. 

This has been my favorite thing that we made so far--small tarts with either fresh fruit and pastry cream or lemon curd and meringue.
Apple tart with crumb topping.


Pumpkin pie and peach pie with a crumb topping.


I volunteered at a gala event for Action Against Hunger and got to help plate with a pastry chef from Ilili--a wonderful restaurant in the city. We literally painted chocolate onto the plate with a pastry brush, then added a small amount of coconut, crushed choc meringue cookies, cream, and coconut pastry cream. There is supposed to be a souffle on the plate as well, but I just wanted to show the part that I did. Three of us had to do 360 of these plates...it was a lot of work, but so so much fun!


I hope that everyone enjoys this post, and seriously, thank you so much for continuing to read and follow my blog!
...............


1 comment:

  1. Thank you so much for posting again, i missed it! I really think your baking is beautiful almost as beautiful as you are. You really inspire me to become a greater person . Would it be possible if you posted more pictures , in particular of yourself. as i enjoy seeing you. Sorry if my english is not to great. Thomas from Cape Town. x

    ReplyDelete