Monday, October 3, 2011

Writer's block...

How lame is this...I seriously just don't feel like writing a blog. And this isn't just tonight I'm feeling this way--it's been for days now. I've tried and tried to sit down and write, but it just never happens. With that being said, it's now 11:27pm on Monday night and I still have not posted. Therefore, I would like to establish that this is a lazy week and I will simply post pictures of a few things we made. 


We got to make creme brulee--one of my favorite desserts. It was so much fun to use the torch and color the sugar on top. We have little baby torches because of fire safety regulations in the building, so it took awhile to get the sugar to start caramelizing. But it was still very entertaining!


We made quite a few baked custards in class--this one is a creme renversee au caramel. It looks a lot like flan, but I think this is much better.



Last week we started making bases for ice cream and sorbets. Along with that came numerous things like wafers and cookies to use when plating the frozen dessert. These are called pizzelles--they're essentially flat, hazelnut waffles. The batter is put in a little pizzelle maker, which looks exactly like a mini belgian waffle maker with a fancy design on them. They were delicious! 



At the end of class on Friday we got to work on plating all of the things we made in two classes. My plate has a pizzelle, vanilla ice cream, mascarpone cheesecake, raspberry sauce and chocolate fudge designs. 


2 comments:

  1. I think this is a great post! You don't have to write a novel every time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well thank you very much! Pictures are worth a thousand words, right? Haha

    ReplyDelete