Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Cornets, Chocolate Work and Decorating = Homework (?!)

One of the first things that we learned in baking school was how to make a " paper cornet". We make these by rolling and folding parchment paper into the shape of a small cone. Our chef said this is a basic skill that is required in any professional kitchen, and it's really useful for all kinds of decorating and chocolate work. You can fill them with melted chocolate, like we've been doing, and use it to decorate a plated dessert, top a cake, or decorate candies.  



Here's a picture of a few cornets I made:



After we learned to make the cornets, we got to start practicing different designs made out of chocolate. In class this morning, Chef Jeff taught us two of my favorite designs. One is made out of swirls and dots (two things I LOVE to draw) and the other is just 3 different sizes of round shapes that come out looking cool. 


This is a picture of the two designs Chef Jeff taught us today:



Our homework tonight was to practice our chocolate work. I mean, seriously? We actually get credit for melting chocolate and making cool designs? Obviously this school is for me.

3 comments:

  1. Andrea I'm loving your blog!! And hating it at the same time, because I just want to get on the pictures and eat the chocolate! :D I'm glad you're sharing your experience... you're gonna be a baking-dancing star soon! xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG I LOVE Jose's comment!! Seriously, too funny. And I too am jealous! It looks like soooooo much fun. Trust me, computer science homework is not as fun... haha :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha you two are hilarious!! Jose for real, I will bring you all sorts of pastries and bread and cakes and chocolate! I can't eat it all by myself haha and Dale, I've gotta say, any homework that doesn't involve chocolate just can't be on the same level of fun haha

    ReplyDelete